Monday, March 16, 2009

I hope this info finds you well... By this time I have been in training for about 6 weeks now. I have been having a interesting time- to say the least so sit back, relax and enjoy.

I should start with my typical day...

6:30 am (6 hours behind eastern time) I wake up and take a bucket bath- yes you read correctly- this consist of boiling hot water mixed with rain water to create lukewarm water in a bucket. lol

7:20 am - I am fully dressed and eating cornflakes-my breakfast of choice- before saying good bye to my host Mom ( a Pedi woman that is supose to be speaking to me in my target language but would rather practice her English- and leave me to struggle in my language class).

7:30 am- I walk out to the main road through a dirt road past the intoxicated men (wait am I in Philly?) and walk to my language class.

8-10 am - Ke ithuta Sepedi-meaning I am learning Sepedi. It has been a challenge to learn a foreign language- but I am doing well if I do say so myself!

10-10:30 am Travel to Marapyane Teachers College for technical training

10:30-11 am Nako Teye-Tea Time! Yes we stop learning in the middle of the day to have tea and finger sandwiches- is there a reason why this hasn't been implemented in the states?

11-12:30 pm More training

12:30-1:30 Lunch Yay African Hamburgers- the hamburger consists of 4 slices of bread, Acha (red stuff), chips ( frenchfries), chicken Bologna (what?) and some special sauce!

1:30-5 pm Training

5-5:30 pm travel home

5:30-6:30 pm Cook dinner - pap(its like over cooked grits), boiled chicken, carrots and cabbage. This meal will be prepared by electric stove or open fire. ( Can you imagine- Nisah Abdul-Sabur cooking over a fire!)


6:30-7:30 pm Chow Time

7:30-8:30 pm Study time- Language is a trip

8:30-9:00 pm Another exciting bucket bath!

9:10 Lights out!


And now you have it, the reason why I haven't had the time to update this blog on a regular basis. And as you've guessed it, I have to go so until next time my friends. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long!

Oh and write me- send me letters and Instyle magazine and mixed CDs of the latest songs! I would really appreciate that!

Nisah Abdul-Sabur
Peace Corps
P.O. Box 9536
Pretoria 001
South Africa

Peace!

No comments: