Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I, Nisah Abdul-Sabur, pledge to...

I am super excited to be an official Peace Corps volunteer!- Yes I know that you were probably under the impression that I was already a volunteer for the PC long before I left Philly but not quite... I was more like a trainee.

Swearing in ceremony took place in a small town south of Tzaneen. All 25 of us ( yes we all made it from staging) swore in making it the first class in I don't know how many years, to ever swear in with the same amount of people that it left the states with.

Now I am permanently placed in Tzaneen and loving it. I am but a short walk from my office and I have an amazing view. There is a small creek where local folks go fishing and mountains as far as the eye can see. It does get a little warm for my taste but the breeze is magnificent!

So far I have been spending my time at work assisting with Admin duties as I patiently wait for my job description to be determined. I am but a 25 minute walk from the mall so I have been grabbing odds and ends to transform the flat into something cozy... I haven't quite gotten used to cooking with a hot plate but I am trying... I have also began to study for the GRE and reading any book I can find (these include the books I grabbed and snatched from the PC library in Pretoria and borrowed books from other PCs) .

Pics coming soon people- be calm!

Til' we meet again...

9 comments:

valeciaj said...

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the scenery in the town in which you are staying. I have a ton of questions. Ok...here goes. I see that you have a flat that you are making cozy. I am very visual so, I need details. Do you have running water in this new place? Are you living by yourself or do you have a room mate? Hopefully you're living alone. One word...Paddyfoote:-) lol. I can understand your sadness in using a hot plate, considering your culinary skills? LOL. Maybe you can really come back and wow us with your skills on the hot plate. Ok, so did you notice the sarcasm...That is one of the things that I miss, so I decided to add some in to make you feel like you were here:-)

Anyway, I am glad that you are doing well and I am looking forward to your letter as well as learning more about your travels. TTYS.

Love ya,
The One and Only, Valecia C. Johnson

Casey Frazee said...

Hey lady! So you're studying for the GRE? I need to start that... Let me know how you find the books and if they're worth it. Casey : )

Cait said...

Hi my name is Cait, and I was in SA14. Tzaneen was my nearest town, and I spent a lot of time there. I have been trying to figure out if a replacement volunteer was ever put in my village, and I was wondering if any education volunteers are near you? I'm coming back to visit in July and wanted to know about bringing things to my village and my host sister has not been much help with this information. Thanks :)

Nisah said...

Cait- I just recently met up with PCVs about an hour outside of Tzaneen in Hoedsprit. If you send me an email with your info I can forward the information- There are 2 SA18 Education volunteers in the surrounding area- the other volunteer is with an NGO.

Nisah said...

Casey- I have flashcards and I take the practice test online every second that I am free. I can forward the websites that I have found most helpful for the GRE as well. Or we can just study up while where in Durban on the beach-yeah right! lol See you soon!

Nisah said...

Valecia- Oh how evil and ridiculously rude you can be... lol.

morrissey said...

Nisah! I have been periodically checking up on you on this blog and fb - its so great so hear about your new life in South Africa. Glad to hear/see that you're doing so well and enjoying it. I look forward to following your exciting and INSPIRING journey in the Peace Corps. I miss you! Be well - Brendan

Unknown said...

Update Cha! Yes... It is time.

Nisah said...

Brendan! How is CY treating you? Thanks for your words of encouragement, I really appreciate them. I love that you were secretly checking up on me! LOL
Are you planning to serve in the PC? What country would you like to serve in, what language would you like to learn? Please keep me updated!
-Nisah